Most of my clients ask me about the big square box in the center part of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a collection of self-closing louvers. It’s a whole house fan and it can either benefit property owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and fewer humid nights
* Utilize it only if the temperature and humidity outside is much more favorable compared to the conditions indoors. Should your air conditioner system is operating during the day, and also the temperature outside drops lower (although the humidity is still high), don’t turn the this tumblr site. The vent will suck each of the humid air in your air conditioned house
* The best time periods to work with it would be, of course, early morning and evening
If you suffer from allergies, it might not be a good idea to bring all the pollution to the house. The window screens will stop a few of it, but whole house fans are extremely powerful and forces you to sneeze more than ever.
1. Prior to deciding to turn the fan on, open as numerous windows and doors as you possibly can, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / hot water heater room doors (when they are louver type, it won’t matter). The suction from the whole house fan (a minimum of in the highest speed) is so great, that without open windows / doors, it can draw air externally through any possible openings like, by way of example, through the chimney. When it is a fireplace chimney and you also don’t get rid of the ashes… well, it’s likely to be a mess. When it is a water heater / furnace chimney, it could blow away from the pilots.
2. When everything is ready, it is possible to start up the complete house fan and usually inside the next few seconds you should feel a good amount of exterior air flowing at home. Unless…
3. This part is incredibly important as opening the doors and windows – both must be balanced to work properly so that you can really enjoy the whole house fan operation. Air drawn with the whole house fan should be discharged through the attic vents on the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created from the attic area will result in the environment that was just pulled away from your house to come back with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps inside the attic wh0le and also the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation might not be enough to back up the Tumblr operation; you will need considerably more to hold all of that extra volume of air on the exterior. And also the formula to calculate the square footage in the attic vents needed to discharge that air is simple. You only need the proportions of all your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, as well as a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is only a sample, calculate each of the rooms in your own home you imagine ought to be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you must to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is actually the section of the required attic vents (these combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. If the house you’re moving into provides the whole house fan already installed, lets hope that this was properly sized up because of its purpose (there may be a tag in the unit itself), which is to replace your home air within just a couple of minutes.
5. If you’re the main one installing the entire house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as being an optimal time for that house air exchange. To achieve that, you’d should divide your home total air volume (6550 cubic feet from my sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That can give us 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet each minute).
6. Yet another important thing: louvers of your tumblr are not air tight and possess no insulation applied on their surface; they leak air between your house and attic. I would recommend installing a complete house fan cover in attic area to avoid air drafts in the cold season – don’t forget to remove it before you decide to make use of the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and many people never rely on them, nonetheless they might benefit your wallet should you apply the suggestions above. You will find currently other house ventilation systems available: they are more expensive (2 – three times) but very quiet, more potent, and provide air circulation for prolonged intervals.